The ALI Book Club is a free program that aims to help international students practice their English reading and conversation skills. These informal hour-long groups will be led by native English-speaking USC students, are first come first served and capped at 5 students per session.
This spring, we will read twelve different short stories, one per week of the program. Please see the list below for the reading schedule. For the best experience, please read the short story of the week before attending a book club session so that you may be able to contribute to the conversation.
Free PDF versions of all the short stories will be available soon.
Keep in touch with ALI leaders, ask questions, and stay updated on all programs via the ALI Slack Workspace and check out the ALI Book Club Slack channel (#ali-bookclub-summer2021) for a dedicated space to chat about Book Club with leaders and other students.
How to Join
Click the GO! link to enter each individual session Zoom room. The links to each room will stay the same throughout the entire Summer 2021 semester, although you will have to register each time you enter. You may register anytime but you will only be able to access the room at the time of the session.
Please note that only current students may join. You will need to use your USC email to enter the Zoom room.
Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Summer 2021 Schedule
Spring 2021 Book Club Reading Schedule
- Week 1: Feb. 1 – Feb. 5
- To Build a Fire by Jack London
- Week 2: Feb. 8 – Feb. 12
- Sleep by Haruki Murakami
- Week 3: Feb. 15 – Feb. 19
- Bernice Bobs Her Hair by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- Week 4: Feb. 22 – Feb. 26
- The Thing Around your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
- Week 5: Mar. 1 – Mar. 5
- The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connel
- Week 6: Mar. 8 – Mar. 12
- Sonny’s Blues by James Baldwin
- Week 7: Mar. 15 – Mar. 19
- The Skylight Room by O. Henry
- Week 8: Mar. 22 – Mar. 26
- The Veldt by Ray Bradbury
- Week 9: Mar. 29 – April 2
- The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter
- Tale of Bluebeard by Edric Vredenburg
- Week 10: April 5 – April 9
- The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins
- Week 11: April 12 – April 16
- The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas by Ursula K. Le Guin
- Week 12: April 19 – April 23
- Story of an Hour by Kate Chopin